Friday, October 4, 2013

Vincent Van Gogh



Okay, my absolute favorite artist of all time is Vincent Van Gogh.
He was the first artist I ever took any notice of.  My mom and dad had a print of one of his
sunflower paintings in their bedroom when I was growing up.  
I didn't like it that much.....somehow it kinda depressed me. 

When I was 12 years old my parents took our family to Europe, when we were in Amsterdam we went to a museum filled with only Vincent's paintings. There I saw one of his sunflower paintings in person (I'm getting the chills just thinking about that moment)  It was absolutely beautiful.  The color was so much more intense and richer that the print my parents had.  NOT depressing at all...uplifting....sunshine on a piece of canvas.  I remember that afternoon well.  Looking at his self portraits, you could see the mood he was in that day.  Emotion and feelings radiating from every painting.  All the glorious color.....the energy......I didn't know it then, but that was the moment I wanted learn to paint. I look back on that moment a lot lately, as I'm trying to decide what way to go with my own artwork.

If I had a wish....I'd wish that Vincent was my teacher.....my mentor....or maybe just my 
painting friend.  What do you think?  That would be pretty cool wouldn't it!?

Thanks for checking in with me and reading!
I appreciate it!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment